Salisbury is an all-boys' private school founded in the Episcopal tradition located in the northwest corner of Connecticut with an enrollment of 309 students. Salisbury is a boarding school and as such its 65 faculty members are committed not only to their academic disciplines, but also to life in a residential community. In addition to their academic and administrative responsibilities, faculty members share residential, athletic and extracurricular duties. The particulars of these additional, non-teaching responsibilities will be worked out with the dean of faculty and the headmaster. While most full-time faculty teach four sections, coach two seasons of either interscholastic or intramural sports and work within the residential program, every successful employee working at the School understands and appreciates the twenty-four hour nature of work in a boarding school.
The academic program includes a traditional core curriculum as well as a large variety of elective courses and a strong program in the Arts. The School also offers a variety of Advanced Placement courses in all disciplines. Athletics are an important part of the Salisbury experience – each boy is required to participate in an afternoon athletic activity during the fall, winter and spring. The chapel program is an essential part of school life as well, and our community gathers once a day during either chapel, school meeting or family style sit-down meals.
Instructors, interns and tutors at Salisbury are expected to promote the intellectual, physical and moral development of students in the classroom, dormitory and during extracurricular activities; act as a mentor and help students adjust to rigors of boarding school; attend all meals; assume emergency driver responsibilities; chaperone off-campus events; attend bi-weekly faculty meetings and annual parent-teacher conferences. Members of our faculty are required to assume dormitory duties and coverage of weekend events. Full-time faculty must coach/supervise an athletic or extra-curricular activity during two of three trimesters.
Salaries are competitive and benefits include housing (with utilities) and meals when school is in session. The School also offers excellent health and retirement benefits, including participation in TIAA-CREF. Generous funding is available to support advanced degree work and participation in professional conferences, workshops, summer study and travel.
Candidates wishing to apply for a teaching position should have the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree (or higher - foreign equivalent is acceptable) in the discipline, education or a closely related field.
- Ability to teach four or five sections and the ability to coach two seasons of a sport.
- Commitment to the 24 hours a day, 7 days a week life of a boarding school.
- Genuine interest in working with adolescents.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Commitment to professional growth.
Candidates for faculty positions should mail or e-mail (no calls please) a cover letter expressing interest in employment at Salisbury School, a resume and three to five references to:
Dean of Faculty
251 Canaan Road
Salisbury, CT 06068
Finalists for all positions are required to spend a day on campus meeting with faculty and administrators and attending classes and all-school gatherings.
A boarding school is a complex place. As the adult members of the community, we are all responsible in our own way for the growth and development of the students entrusted to our care. Each of us has a unique set of responsibilities, but we share a commitment to bring expertise and energy to all that we do. As with the faculty, for many staff members working at Salisbury is not a job, it is a vocation. In selecting candidates for employment here, we look not only for exceptional talent and expertise, but also for a high level of commitment and loyalty. In return, Salisbury School provides its employees with an exceptional benefits package and competitive salaries.
Communications & Marketing Coordinator
Salisbury School, an independent college preparatory boarding and day school for students in grades 9 -12, seeks a skilled, experienced communications professional to join its Communications Office. Reporting to the director of communications, the communications and marketing coordinator manages the School’s digital presence, including the website, approach and implementation on social media properties, multimedia content development, and deployment of e-communications.
Successful candidates will have demonstrated excellence in verbal and written communication with an eye for design, a strong background in digital communications and website management, strong time and project management abilities, and exemplary professional and personal traits. This position is full-time (Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., with extended and/or weekend hours for special school event coverage as needed).
Principle responsibilities include:
- Manage and oversee the School’s website and electronic communications (salisburyschool.org), including writing, proofing and publishing content that is timely, accurate and reflective of brand messaging.
- Successfully collaborate with individual offices to enhance Salisbury’s digital communications and maximize engagement with key constituencies through multimedia content development. These offices include admissions, academic departments, athletics, alumni/development, school store, business office, library, health services, headmaster, student activities and summer school.
- Develop and execute a robust social media plan.
- Identify and execute new online marketing initiatives.
- Manage search engine optimization and web analytics.
- Proofread the "Salisbury Magazine" and other print publications.
- Troubleshoot website issues for all the School’s constituents.
- Additional communications and marketing duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree; 3-5 years of relevant experience
- Excellent written and editorial skills
- Experience with both PC and Mac operating systems required. Demonstrated proficiency in iMovie and Photoshop as well as social media sites including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Instagram.
- Exceptional strategic planning; detail-oriented and skilled at managing multiple projects and meeting deadlines; self-motivated and collaborative work style
- Working knowledge of boarding school environment preferred
- Ability to lift 30 lbs.
Interested candidates are asked to send a cover letter, resume and three references to:
Director of Communications
251 Canaan Road
Salisbury, CT 06068
Salisbury School is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.