Salisbury has three primary goals for incorporating technology into our curriculum:
- To arm students with 21st Century skills as they prepare for college and life;
- To enhance the in-classroom experience for all styles of learning; and
- To engage the students with technology in a wide variety of exercises and projects.
To accomplish these goals, the academic program focuses on developing proficiency in the following skill areas:
- E-mail and electronic communication
- File management
- Web-based research and electronic media literacy
- Word processing
- Graphing and spreadsheet applications
In addition to these core areas, students have the option of furthering their knowledge within courses including, but not limited to:
- Digital film production
- Audio and video editing
- Music technology
What to Bring
To meet the demands of the academic program, we strongly recommend you own a laptop computer before arriving at Salisbury School. Students may bring either a *Mac or a PC that meet the minimum requirements listed below.
- Windows 7, Windows 8, Mac OS 10.8 or higher
- Processor: 64-bit or 32-bit
- Memory: at least 4 GB
- Network: wired/wireless
*Salisbury School's preferred resource for Apple products and repairs is Visionary Computer, an Apple Specialist, located in nearby Lakeville CT. Visionary Computer provides Apple authorized sales, service and repair on the full line-up of Apple products. They can be reached via the web at http://www.visionarycomputer.net/salisbury-school, telephone at (860) 435-2211, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Visionary Computer can also arrange pickup and delivery for Salisbury School students.
Apple Computers - Pre-Order for Your Student
We are now offering all students the option of purchasing a pre-configured Apple Macintosh computer from our trusted local vendor, Visionary Computer.
There are many advantages of purchasing this machine:
- The machine will be pre-registered on our network
- It will come with all necessary printer drivers installed
- It will be loaded with the Microsoft Office Suite
We will deliver your computer when you arrive at registration.
The base unit is configured as follows, and we strongly suggest the extended warranty for coverage of this device. If you want a more complex machine, Visionary can also upgrade per your specifications. Here are the standard specs for Salisbury's MacBook’s:
- MMGG2LL/A MacBook Air 13-inch 1.6GHz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD - $1199.95
- MD463LL/A Thunderbolt Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - $29.95
- S3141LL/A Applecare Protection Plan for 13” MacBook Air - $249.95"
- Safeware Protection Plan (Must have AppleCare, $250 Deductible Per Damage Incident) - $99.95
- Neoprene Sleeve for 13" MacBook Air - $39.95
Please contact Visionary Computer directly to place an order. Their phone number is (860) 435-2211 or visit http://www.visionarycomputer.net.
Further questions can be directed to Jill Cunningham (860) 435-5777 or email@example.com.
What NOT to Bring
- Computers or laptops designed as “gaming” machines\
Students are allowed to connect multiple devices (e.g., tablets, smartphones) to our wireless network. Please note ChromeBooks do not work with our network and are not supported.
What we Supply:
While you are a student here you may install:
- Microsoft Office for PC or Mac
- Symantec Antivirus software (if you currently do not have antivirus software installed on your machine we will require you to install our version of Symantec)
- Other software as required by specific classroom needs
- Ethernet cables are available upon request
- Network Connectivity- Instructions will be supplied during orientation on how to connect to our wifi, register devices, and how to access our other network services.
Printers are available in the dorm common areas and the library for your PC and iOS devices. Access information will be provided during orientation. Students may bring their own printer but we recommend using a wired connection (USB cable) and not utilizing the wifi.