History of the Program
Salisbury’s first soccer matches were played in 1905 when a brand-new team compiled a 3-1 record. The experiment was not repeated, however, and participation in this sport lapsed for several decades. Instead, students played intramural soccer in the late fall after the conclusion of the football season. Interscholastic soccer returned to the Hilltop permanently in 1956 as a trial involving students from the “medical squad” who were injured or otherwise unable to play football. William R. Nonnenmacher served as the first coach. Squad members had neither a dedicated field nor true uniforms but nevertheless competed against local club and junior varsity teams. Soccer became a varsity sport in 1957, and in 1958 compiled a very successful 8-2 record. The team enjoyed particular success in the 1990s under the leadership of Coach Joseph Cleary, reigning as the Western New England Champions in 1990 and 1991, and winning the Raymond Brown Soccer Cup in 1994 and 1995. Today, the Crimson Knights are led by Head Coach Ben Walsh.